Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 - Banzo's Year in Review

Since I am a blogging machine on a jet-lagged tear tonight, what better time than the present to write my 2011 year in review entry. Well let me just say that 2011 was a good year. The end of 2010 was quite rough what with the death of my stepdad, some other personal events that crushed me emotionally, and generally a year I was excited to be done with. I can't be mad though, I learned so much about life, loss, and who I am. I feel so much stronger than I was a year ago. I remember in fact talking with Beth in my car when all that stuff was going down, saying 'you know Beth sometimes I just think the universe gives you that much more than you can handle, to prove you can do it'. And I did. For that I am very proud.

2011 has seen major life changes for me. I made a huge job change and moved across the country. In many ways I have made triathlon into a fun hobby instead of a second job. I am still obsessed but I have a lot more balance which I think is good. I'm not going pro (you can quote me on that), and I wanted to focus more on my career, which I have done to a good amount of success in my opinion. I think it's a good thing. Going into 2012 I have several career goals which is a new thing for me. They do not involve swimming, cycling, or running.

But even though I made a big change and started traveling 100%, I had a good year when it comes to triathlon. I set a new Half Ironman PR at Vineman. I made it onto the podium at all my races except New Orleans. And that hardly counted anyway since it was a duathlon and it was a stacked field with two of my best tri friends in the field! I somehow managed to make it onto the podium in my first Ironman which I still can hardly believe. I also qualified for Kona and didn't sign up. Well, live and learn.

This year (2012) should be interesting. I have a new coach, a new place to train, and many new challenges. But I think if I can get my nutrition solid, continue to make some time for training, and keep the balance I've worked hard to achieve, and do what Chad says, 2012 should be a good year. It might even be my best year yet!! Here's to sending positive energy into the universe.

3 comments:

  1. You've had a great year with much more excitement to come in 2012! Happy New Year Barb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you last night as I was stone cold sober and reflecting on last year's new year's. I thought "good god, this is what Barb had to deal with x ten!" What a difference a year makes. I am so glad you are in a happy, balanced place. Happy new year, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you, how you well you handled 2010's unpleasant experiences, and that you ended up in a good place. Building on our experiences in a positive way is the best way to handle what life throws at us. I hope each year is better than the last.

    ReplyDelete