Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Rides in the Big City

Although you might not think NYC is a great place to live if you enjoy riding a bicycle, I have to say I am really enjoying riding here so far. I am doing a ride series with NYCC and it is super fun. This week we rode to Ridgewood, New Jersey, wherever that is. I still honestly have no idea although I believe it is Northwest of the city.

First I must say the park is looking insane, every week it is more and more beautiful. Everything is blooming. I need to take a leisurely ride there to take some snaps. This is actually from one of the parks in Hoboken, but you get the idea. Beautiful!!


Here is our fearless leader of my group talking about something that I probably should have been listening to, rather than taking a picture, but whatever.


It is kind of funny because they are teaching a number of basic cycling skills so I tend to zone out but I am learning a few things. It is hard to ride in a single paceline when I am not just hanging on for dear life like I would when riding with my old team.

Ridgewood was SO cute. It was the cutest little town. We hung out and had a snack in a park and I took pictures of some of the super cute buildings. We did not have anything like this in Colorado.


Right?! I also took a picture of one of my compatriots' bikes. This guy lives in Brooklyn and has a bamboo bicycle. Apparently it is quite light. You will notice it is sitting right in front of the Purple Hammer, my bike.


So I am really enjoying doing these rides. They are so not intense but I like finding out different rides to try, rather than just riding up 9W. One of the rides will be out to Long Island, I can't wait. And I guess we will be doing a Century. Which is funny because even a 60 mile ride seems to take us about 7 hours, so I have no idea how we will do that. Perhaps we will get home at 2:00 am. Oh well, we always seem to have a good time!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree - I live in NYC, and I think it's a great place for riding. I even have a folding bike so I can keep it in my apartment no problem. I've even been riding to work some days, instead of just longer rides on the weekend, and with all the new bike lanes, it's really a lot easier than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really miss riding in nj sometimes. I like the climbing and views in Colorado but you don't get the same feel as back east. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete